- Parent Category: About Us
- Published: Sunday, 30 August 2009 15:29
Inspired by the original intent and statement of philosophy left by the school’s founder J. Krishnamurti, the mission of Oak Grove School is to assist students in developing those qualities of mind, heart, and body that will enable them to function with excellence, care and responsibility in the modern world. In addition, it is the intention of the school to offer a place where the whole community can inquire together into the perennial questions of humankind and explore an approach to life that is whole, mindful and intelligent.
The school does this by:
- Providing a well-rounded and challenging academic experience balanced with a rich extracurricular program in fine, performing and practical arts, physical fitness, environmental and outdoor education, community service and travel.
- Creating an environment for learning – A Climate of Inquiry – that is safe, friendly, non-competitive and encourages open-mindedness and a spirit of inquiry.
- Encouraging close relationship between students and teachers as well as close contact between school and home and open, honest, and caring communication protocols amongst all members of the school community.
- Supporting an approach to learning that emphasizes depth over coverage, project-based learning, a model of student-as-worker/teacher-as-coach, a genuine appreciation of each student’s unique capabilities, and the balance of traditional testing with authentic assessment practices such as portfolios, demonstrations of learning and student exhibitions.
- Encouraging students to use their minds, bodies and hearts well through the overarching themes expressed within The Art of Living & Learning that are embedded in the school's culture, curriculum, classroom practice and expectations of students.