Serving the whole student
At Oak Grove, we are committed to serving the whole student. The Pastoral Care Program is designed to offer social-emotional support for students and staff, so that each is able to show up intentionally and engage authentically, generating a sense of belonging and community. Once we are present and feeling connected, we are then able to embrace learning and to excel in other areas.
Pastoral Care Time
- First 15 minutes of school day, for PK-12th grade students and all OGS staff.
- The intention of Pastoral Care Time is to create a grounding opportunity for students and teachers alike at the beginning of the school day. To ground, in this sense, means to slow down and connect with where we are, physically, mentally, and/or spiritually. This time of intentional slowness acts as an explicit transition from what happened last night or before school to this new, present school day. The opportunity to be in touch with what’s happening for each of us as we begin the day sets us up to more fully engage in the rest of what the day holds.
- There is a Pastoral Care office and infirmary in the High School.
- This is a space for all staff and faculty, as well as HS students, to rest, check in, and be cared for. Students and classes on the South side of campus can utilize this space when needs arise.
Direct Student Support for High School
- Drop-in and scheduled, in-person, virtual visits, and via Parent Square.
- Work with students, parents and staff to support student wellness.
Team Support for PK-12th grade
- Teacher and Program Director work together with the Pastoral Care Coordinator when needed.
- Direct support for students, parents, and teachers when PDs deem it would be helpful for a student’s wellness.
- Support for teachers so that they can fully show up for student relationships.
- Working closely with teachers, staff, Program Directors and Head of School to provide support as needed.
- Progressively re-envisioning advisory curriculum coordination in grades 6th-12th.
- Developing and supporting comprehensive Sexual Health and Wellness resources for advisories and teachers.
- Coordination of, and collaboration with, activities on campus as they relate to health, wellness and development: Pastoral Care Team; Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Committee; Libraries; Health & Safety Committee; Sexual Health and Wellness; Parent Ed; Program Directors.
Begin the application process. If you have any questions, we’re happy to assist you.