At Oak Grove, we are committed to serving the whole student. The Pastoral Care Program is designed specifically to offer support for students and staff so that each is able to show up intentionally and engage authentically, generating a sense of belonging and community. Once we are present and feeling connected, we are then able to excel in other areas.
What will Year 1 of Pastoral Care at Oak Grove look like for students and teachers?
Pastoral Care Time
- First 15 minutes of school day, for PK-12th grade students and all OGS staff.
- The intention of Pastoral Care Time is to create a grounding opportunity for students and teachers alike at the beginning of the school day. To ground, in this sense, means to slow down and connect with where we are, physically, mentally, and/or spiritually. This time of intentional slowness acts as an explicit transition from what happened last night or before school to this new, present school day. The opportunity to be in touch with what’s happening for each of us as we begin the day sets us up to more fully engage in the rest of what the day holds.
- There is a beautiful new Pastoral Care office and infirmary in the High School.
- This is a space for all staff and faculty, as well as HS students, to rest, check in, and be cared for.
Direct Student Support for High School
- Drop-in and scheduled, in-person, virtual visits, and via Parent Square.
Team Support for PK-12th grade
- Teacher and Program Director work together with the Pastoral Care Coordinator when needed.
- Support for teacher relationships with students and parents.
- Support for teachers so that they can fully show up for student relationships.
- Progressively re-envisioning advisory curriculum coordination in grades 6th-12th.
- Coordination of and collaboration with Wellness activities on campus: Pastoral Care Team; Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee; Libraries; Sexual Health and Wellness; Parent Ed; Program Directors.